POLK COUNTY, IOWA CITIES AND TOWNS (continued)
 
Locations of gravesites in Polk County once lost, but recently found:
 
There are no doubt dozens and dozens of single and private family burial sites that were 
  made in various places around Polk County before there were organized burial spots
  in the townships. Mainly they were of infants, the aged, and accidental deaths of single
  area pioneers. The following are those we know about, and would welcome any input
  as to any that were missed.
 
Fort Des Moines Cemetery - The very first cemetery being established on the west side for
  the town of Fort Des Moines, it consisted of 2 1/2 acres and was directly northwest of
  the Odd Fellows cemetery. It was founded September 24, 1849, and later became part of
  Woodland Cemetery. Lots for this cemetery were being sold as early as 1849, and quite
  a few downtown Des Moines cemeteries were relocated here.
The Odd Fellows Cemetery was the 2nd cemetery, being founded  March 30, 1858.
  However the original plat of this cemetery for some reason does not correspond with
  the actual layout.
Woodland Cemetery was 3rd, located south and west of the above, and being founded
  on November 1, 1859 and replacing Fort Des Moines cemetery.
Saint Ambrose Catholic cemetery was next, having been relocated from 2 1/2 miles south
  of Des Moines, and founded on August 8,1866
The Emmanuel Jewish cemetery was the last of the cemeteries to join the cluster of
   cemeteries located northwest of M.L. King Jr. Parkway and Woodland Avenue. It was
   founded January 21, 1871, and lies on the northwest edge of Woodland Cemetery.
 
  There is a pauper's section in Woodland that the city of Des Moines buried the poor until
  1953. There are some records of who is buried in that section of the cemetery, but no
  plat exists of that block. There are only 2 or 3 stones marking all of any burials made
  there, and there's no proof that they are where they're supposed to be.
 
The following are gravesites that do not appear to have been relocated, have been
  relocated, or never were used;
 
1) 3 Hendricks family children buried under north approach of East 14th
    viaduct, between East Court And East Vine.
    Who is buried there(It's still there!)
         1) Hendricks, Daisy - Daisy Hendricks was born in 1854, De Kalb County, Illinois, and she
                                              died in East Des Moines in 1876
         2)Hendricks, Rosa - Born March 3, 1858 , Des Moines, Iowa. Died on March 30, 1858 in
                                              Des Moines, Iowa.
        3) Unidentified 2 year old boy - (A son of John Ludwig Dean or George G. Brewer)
        Source: The Des Moines Tribune - October 12, 1937, Page 1-A
 
2) Thompson - Coffeen  family burial grounds - At the southwest corner of
    Union Park, at the northeast corner of Jefferson Avenue and Pennsylvania
    Avenue; 
 
        This cemetery was first mentioned in Polk County land records when Mary Thompson, the
         widow of Andrew McFarland Thompson, deeded this l acre plot to her sons, Samuel and John,
         in 1878. After that time, it passed onto Abbie A Herrold, Dora E. Layman, and finally was
         deeded to the Board of Parks Commission in 1900, but no mention of the cemetery was given
         in the actual deed to the land. An 1877 news article mentions this cemetery as being "up on
         Pennsylvania avenue", and also stated nobody was buried there anymore, and some bodies
         were removed. Another news article from 1895 specificly mentions a few graves, and gives
         some information as to who is buried there. The last mention of this site as a cemetery is in
         1899 when a quit claim deed was filed to remove it's status as a family burying ground. It's not
         clear if the parks department removed the graves, and I suspect the markers were removed to
         speed the sale of the land, or were just gradually neglected and forgotten about..
 
          In those days, the area now known as Union Park was referred to as Thompson's Bend, as
        was host to several tent meetings of various kinds. The actual site is on the north side of
        Jefferson Avenue, about 50 feet east of Pennsylvania Avenue. Maps of Des Moines
        published in 1882 and 1884, properly place the cemetery in Union Park. There
        is a clearing about the size of the cemetery, but no visual indications can be found.
 
        Who is buried there;
      1) Coffeen,Benjamin - Benjamin Coffeen, died August 15, 1858, aged 41 years, 3 months
             and 28 days.
        2) Thompson, Andrew McFarland - Andrew McFarland Thompson, died August 4, 1854, aged
              67 years, 8 months and 13 days
        3) Thompson, Samuel G. - Samuel G.Thompson, son of A. and M. Thompson, born October
               7, 1846, died August 4, 1863, aged 16 years, 9 months, 27 days
        4) Coffeen, Infant - Infant Coffeen daughter of B.E. Coffen,, died September 1, 1852
        5) Thompson, Samuel G. - Samuel G.Thompson, aged 9 years,died  April 12, 1883 in
               Saylor Township, and was to be buried in "the family plot" (taken from Polk County Death
               records) [This may or may not be a relation]
        6) Other later burials, information on them not provided
 
       Andrew McFarland Thompson appears to have had his grave moved up to Pine Hill cemetery, as his
       gravestone and four other smaller stones are set in a square concrete platform. The four smaller stones
       are too worn to read.
        Source: The Des Moines Daily News - June 14, 1895, Page 1
                    The Iowa State Register - May, 1877
.
3) Benjamin F. Jesse Pioneer Cemetery
      Who is buried there;
           1) "Baby" Shaw (died there about 1847) [Actually the Infant daughter of Samuel and Mary
                  Shaw, that died November 10, 1868, aged 9 days]
           2) Samuel L. Shaw (died before October 18, 1870)
           3) Mary Shaw (his wife - died 1889 in Warren County, Iowa)
           4) John Shaw (probable -- he died January 18, 1865)
           5) Mrs. John Shaw (probable -- died before 1865)
           6) Noah Webster Shaw (son of Samuel & Mary - Maybe buried there - died 1880,Kansas)
           7) Other unspecified area pioneers (Bennett, Jesse, Jordan. Lamont?)
 
        According to a 1906 news article, picnickers discovered a tombstone lying flat near the
          edge of Walnut creek,bearing the name "Baby Shaw" who was buried there about 1847.
          There seemed to have been burials there as late as 1876, but by 1906 the cemetery had
           forgotten, and the stones had been overgrown or scattered. Several graves are
           mentioned to be there, and there's no evidence that they were removed.
           A search has been made through old Polk County land deeds, and the cemetery itself
           was founded by Benjamin F. Jesse, and the earliest mention of existence (1854) mentions
           it was located somewhere in the S.W. 1/4 of the N.W, 1/4 of Section 12, Township 78,
           Range 25. It is. Benjamin F. Jesse is the first traceable owner of that land, and the
           apparent founder, because he buys the land in 1850 from the U.S. Government.
           When he sells that parcel of land in 1854 to Benjamin Bennett,
           it's mentioned in the legal description. There is also a creek that runs north and south
           through the center of the land, and could be the creek mentioned in the article, and not
           Walnut Creek at all. It fails to be mentioned in legal transactions of the land after the 1860's.
 
             I conducted a door to door search in the area that this cemetery was most likely located, in
           July of 2003, and amazingly enough the first door I knocked on knew of the location of the
           "Baby Shaw" tombstone. After a phone call, I was introduced to the person who currently
           owns the land that the tombstone is on, and they led me to it's location. It is in remarkable
           condition for a stone that was neglected for over 97 years, but there are no signs of any
           surrounding burials or stones. In fact, the owner was not aware that a small private cemetery
           existed in addition to the single grave that was known about, on his land.
 
             The owner has asked to keep the exact location private, so all I can tell you that it's south
           of Hanawalt School. I have a picture of the gravesite, if you need it. Until the owner does
           more site exploration, I can provide no further information
           Source: The Des Moines Daily News - July 28, 1906, Pages 1 and 5
                         
4) John Poole, supposedly buried southeast of 63rd & Grand.
     Who is buried there:
           Poole, John - John Poole,  "Here lies John Poole, April 5, 1849"(Carved on
           a tree trunk, and re-discovered in 1943) Nobody knows if this was an authentic ancient
           epitaph, or a hoax.
           Source: The Des Moines Register - July 26, 1945, Page 9
                       The Des Moines Register - May 31, 1949, Page 9
 
5) Stella Berkley gravesite, along the Des Moines River's east bank, south of the
     Euclid Avenue bridge.
 
     Up until earlier in 2012, I doubted the existence of any burials in this area, marking it down as tombstones dumped by
     vandals decades ago, and discovered later by passing residents of Des Moines. Then I discovered a Des Moines
     Tribune newspaper article from 1963, that told of two boys exploring in this wooded and isolated area, and discovering
     the tombstone of a 17 year old girl named Stella Berkley. The newspaper gives this information as copied from the
     stone itself:
 
                                                     Stella
                                           Wife Of J.F. Berkley
                                                      Died
                                                 May 6, 1894
                                                      Aged
                                                 17 ys, 6 ms
 
     An attempt was made to locate this stone in May of 2012, with no results. Considering that it has been 50 years since
     it was last seen, it may take a few more searches in that area to positively locate it. I have spoken to one of the two
     boys that found it in 1963, and we are still working to locate it again today                                                                              
        
6) C.F. Kaps tombstone, discovered at 1118 Locust in 1959.
      Kaps, C. F. - C.F. Kaps, died December 31, 1859, aged 33 years, 11 months, and 24 days,
             Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord, Rev. Ch. 14, V. 13.
 
          The above is what was carved on the tombstone. His last name was correctly spelled as
         C.F. Kappes.
         Source: The Des Moines Register - Saturday, August 29, 1959, Page 8, columns 2 and 3
 
7) Louis Franke tombstone discovered at 1021 17th in 1959.
       What it said (the area has since been carved away for the McVicar Freeway)
            Franke, Louis - Louis Franke, born in Rhanes, Germany, December 3, 1831, died
              June 13, 1880. Gone but not forgotten. This stone was taken from Woodland cemetery.
          Source: The Des Moines Register - Wednesday, July 15, 1959, Page 3, columns 6 and 7
 
8) East Des Moines Cemetery (now Ashfield Park),East 18th & Lyon streets
    on the east side of downtown Des Moines (also referred to as Logan
    cemetery, the old 18th Street cemetery, or the East Side Cemetery)
      Recent newspaper articles have come to light that give more information about this cemetery,
        and who was buried there. Between 1909 and 1914 the City Parks Department decided to
        convert this old cemetery into a park, and removed the three remaining graves there. Some
        controversy arose about the right the city had to remove graves for their own purposes, but
        nevertheless it was done. Parks commisioner Ash said only about 3 bodies were ever buried
        there, but City Streets secretary Frisk stated that a few hundred people had been buried there.
        Fred Dockhorn, caretaker of Woodland cemetery believed the number to be about 400, and
        only could remember about 6 people being removed. No one living in the neighborhood at that
        time could remember a funeral taking place there.
 
        By 1909 the cemetery was abandoned, and a shed had been erected on one portion, and
        a potato garden was on another. The city then cleared off these intrusions and erected a
        fence around the property to prevent it from being used as a short-cut for local residents.
       Through the years, the ground was unstable here because of underground coal mining activity,
        and some graves were removed because they were sinking as early as 1883. The city
        thereafter tried to discourage burials from taking place there. A local historian also made the
        comment that when the cemetery was finally abandoned, and the graves moved, the city gave
        away all the leftover grave markers to nearby residents, to be used as slab bases, sidewalks,
        borders, and so on, when they could not match them to a grave. So far, burial records for this
        cemetery have not surfaced, so the best that can be done for the moment is to collect the
        following names from the Polk County death records, and are those people who were noted to
        have been buried in East Des Moines cemetery:
 
          Charlie Duff
          Wolf Fearmont
          C. Detwiler
           Lewis Marks
           Nancy Lowery
           Mary Ann Wallace Webb
           Mary L. Quigley
           Alma Atkins
           Joseph Beck Jr.
 
         These names were taken from various news articles from 1909 to 1914
 
            John Day - died July 4, 1856 (actually 1866)
            Mary Day - died 1858 (actually 1868)
            (and another relation of the Day family, name not mentioned)
               Mary Day was John's mother, and supposedly all three people were moved to Glendale,
               but no record of them being there was found. The newspaper article obviously made a
               mistake about the dates, because the cemetery did not exist until 1864. Also, a lot was not
               purchased until 1866 for John Day, according to city lot sales records, so John Day actually
               didn't die until 1866, and Mary Day died in 1858.
             Renhorn family
                 Dockhorn said 5 members of this family were moved in 1897, but he didn't say where..
              (unnamed person)
                  Dockhorn said a person was moved away prior to 1897
              (unnamed person)
                  The city moved a person's grave from this cemetery to Newton, Iowa in 1909
 
          The following are the few records I've found so far that were taken from Polk County City Lots
          sales records, that list sales of cemetery lots in this cemetery. No sales of lots appear to have
          taken place after 1873, and it's possible that this cemetery degenerated into a pauper's
          cemetery.
 
              Jonathan Christ             November 24, 1865            Lot 68, Section 1
              John Day                         July 9, 1866                          Lot 18, Section 1
              A. S. Inscho                     November 18, 1865            Lot 60
              A.J. Reeves                     January 8, 1869                   Lot 72
              Sarah Cox                       April 23, 1869                        East half of Lot 69
              R.E. Ford                         September 19, 1870            North half of east half of Lot 66,
                                                                                                               Section 1
              William C. Owens          December 31, 1870              South half of east half of Lot 66,
                                                                                                                Section 1
              C.J. Comius                    April 25, 1873                         Lot 71, Section 1
 
        This cemetery was donated to the city of Des Moines for use as a cemetery by Thomas K. and
        Phoebe S. Brooks on June 22, 1864, and has been owned by the city ever since.
        Sources:  The Des Moines Daily Tribune - Friday, May 10, 1907, Page 3, column 6
                       The Des Moines Evening Tribune - Friday, January 15, 1909, Page 2, column 4
                       The Register and Leader - Friday, January 19, 1912, Page 2, column 3
                       The Des Moines Evening Tribune - July 17,1912, Page 1, column 6
                       The Register and Leader - Wednesday, July 22, 1914, Page 7, column 7
                       The Des Moines Evening Tribune - Wednesday, July 22, 1914, Page 4, column 4
                       The Des Moines Evening Tribune - Friday, August 21, 1914, Page 14, column 1
                       The Des Moines Register  - Wednesday, August 8, 1990, Page 4 - Neighbors-North/East section
                       The Des Moines Register  - Wednesday, November 7, 1990, Page 8 - Neighbors-North/East section
                       The Iowa State Register - May, 1877
 
9) Fort Des Moines Garrison's Cemetery - On the north side of Locust street,
   between 2nd & 3rd streets (Present site of the Civic Center Court
    Apartments)
     This was the first cemetery ever set up in Polk County, and served the soldiers and  families
      that were stationed at Fort Des Moines. A 1876 account mentions that there were never
      any more than 4 or 5 people buried there at the most, and the occupants were later
      removed. The names of those that were buried there are not known at this time, but it was
      known that the infant daughter of 1st Lt. Grier, born about 1845, was one interment.
      She was later removed from her burial spot in 1862 and reburied "in the east" by her parents.
       An 1877 newspaper article says that there could not have been more than 24 adults, give or
      take a few, that were ever buried in this cemetery, and that they were from the soldier's families
      at that place, and were also buried there. This cemetery location had been allowed to go wild
      until all the soldier's bodies were removed to Woodland Cemetery.
             
      In January of 1874, workers were grading Grand avenue between 2nd and 3rd streets and
     constructing a sidewalk on the south edge of the street when the discovery was made of a body
     of a soldier from Fort Des Moines. The exact name of the soldier is not definate, but his last
     name was Telhee, or Tatlhe, and he was reburied in the soldiers plot in Woodland Cemetery
     on May 22, 1874. The date of his death is not known at present, but he would have died
      between May 20, 1843 and March 10, 1846
      Sources: Centennial History Of Polk County, Iowa, by J.M. Dixon, Blind Editor - 1876. Page 33
                    The Iowa state Register - January 20, 1874, Page 4, column 2
 
10) Cyrus A. Mosier gravesite (1874)
        A newspaper account from that same year tells of Mr. & Mrs. C.A. Mosier having to bury their
        5 year old son near their house at their farm. First off, the news article misspelled their name
        as Moser, instead of the correct MOSIER, and gives no details about where they lived.
 
          I first consulted the 1870 census to find out even if the C.A. Mosier family even lived inside
        Polk County limits, and if so, where it exactly was. They turn up in Bloomfield township, and
        the youngest member of the family was one year old Cyrus A. Mosier, who was the very same
        little boy that would die in 1874.
 
         Consulting a 1872 map of Polk County that displayed large property owners, the map placed
        the Mosier farm wihin the modern day boundries of Southwest 9th, Plesantview Drive,
        Southwest 12th, and Broad Street. A faint small circle on the northwest corner of what now is
        Southwest 9th and Pleasantview Drive may have noted where the original Mosier farmhouse
        was located, or maybe it noted something else entirely.
 
         It's not known exactly where the boy's grave actually is on this property, and since this area is
        mostly occupied by houses and businesses, the original site may have been disturbed long
        ago. If he ever was moved from his gravesite, there is no record of him in nearby Oak Grove
        cemetery, nor is he buried near his family in Woodland Cemetery. It's unknown if the site was
        ever marked with a stone, and it may be unlocateable.
 
          Here is a link that gives a short biography of Cyrus A Mosier Sr.:
 
http://www.stumpranchonline.com/skagitjournal/Washington/Snohomish/MosierCyrus1-Bio.html
 
11) Oak Lawn Cemetery - 152 acres northwest from a point about 2 blocks
       west fom the northwest corner of Polk Boulevard and Grand Avenue -
       1893 - 1908.
        Recently discovered to have existed, this cemetery was a private cemetery much the same as
        Resthaven, Masonic, and Merle Hay Chapel are today. On December 10, 1896, this
        cemetery's land was offered to the city of Des Moines by John B. Jones, Frank E. Smith, and
        Levi M. & Martha E. Sandford. Mention was made of a portion of land amounting to 20 acres
        was platted and roads were graded in this plat. Jones, Smith and the Sandfords were all realty
        dealers located in rooms 512-513 of the Manhattan building. An article from the Des Moines
        Daily Leader, dated August 13, 1896, stated that they were engaging the services of the
        landscaper Lawson, from Chicago, to beautify the grounds, and expected to have everytthing
        landscaped by 1897. The entrance was to have been on Grand Avenue on the north side of the
        street, between Country Club Boulevard and where 49th would have intersected Grand Avenue.
 
        The modern day boundries of what might have been the successor to Woodland cemetery
        are 49th street from the south edge of McVicar freeway to Grand Avenue(of which only a
        portion of 49th is actually a through street), then directly west from where 49th would have
        intersected Grand Avenue until it met 56th Street. From that point one would follow 56th
        street until it met the south edge of McVicar Freeway, then proceed along that edge
        east until you reached the point that 49th would have intersected. The only part of this
        152 acre cemetery that was actually platted for burial is officially known as "Ozone Ridge",
         and was platted in 1893. There were 3 roads running north to south between Woodland
         Avenue and Center Street called Ozone (now part of 49th Street), Ridgedale (l block west
         of 49th) and Greenbush (2 blocks west of 49th). The east to west roads were Woodland
         Which would have run straight west from 49th & Woodland between Woodland Avenue and
         Country Club Boulevard, Pleasant Street (now Harwood Drive), and Center Street (The south
         edge of McVicar Freeway). Ozone ridge was vacated in 1903, perhaps because the City of
         Des Moines started landscaping Glendale cemetery in 1902. Below is a list of names of those
         who had purchased lots in Ozone Ridge between 1893 and 1903;
 
           Florence B. Laird
           Anna J. Fitch
           W.C. Clavier
           Eva B. Wells
           Kate Jenkins
           Clara Patterson
           P. John Hultman
           James M. McCaughan
           J.R. Barcroft
           F. W. Vorse
           Russell A. Barcroft
           Hattie L. McCaughan
           Mary B. King
           Ausan F. Barcroft
           J. A.(or K.) Barcroft
           Thomas S. Meek
           Fannie A. V. Ingersoll
           J. P. Bumgardner
           B.F. Loose
           Mary J. McCain            
 
          Oak Lawn Cemetery is listed in the city directory from 1896 to 1905, and it's sales office
         was located downtown in the Manhattan Building. The Des Moines cemetery comission
         declined the offer to acqire this land for the new city cemetery, and opted instead to create
         their own cemetery in 1901 now known as Glendale Cemetery. The streets platted in 1893
         continue to be listed in the street directory section until 1908, when the entire plat is vacated.
         Much of what was to have become Oakdale Cemetery is now known to present day Des
         Moines residents as the Waterbury Park neighborhood.
 
          Very little is known about any possible interments that were ever made in this planned
        cemetery, and while they could have buried people anywhere in the 152 acres of this area,
        most likely it would have been in the platted boundries of Ozone Ridge. Maps of that era
        show this plat within the cemetery boundries, but no access road is shown to it. A search was
        made of Polk County Land, and Lots sales records, and books containing Articles of
        Incorporation, but not once in any of these sources between 1893 to 1913 was Oak Lawn
        even mentioned once.
 
         At present, only a portion of 49th street (Ozone) and a a 2 block long segment of Harwood
        Drive (Pleasant street) even help locate the plat of the cemetery, as all other streets in that
        area were platted diffrerently and sometime later. There are many large houses on large
        lawns in the boundries of Ozone Ridge, and the general boundries of Oakdale Cemetery
        itself, and nothing there now would suggest it was ever a cemetery. There may or may not
        have been a few burials in Oak Lawn that were quietly and conveniently hushed up - we just
        don't know. The answers may come from former residents of that area that heard stories
        about the cemetery, or from any descendants of Smith, Jones or Sandford the founders.
        Up to recently, I wrote this cemetery off as something that never happened, and a historical
        footnote.....
                                                                 *HOWEVER....*
 
          I recently spoke to the current secretary up in the Glendale Cemetery office, and she
        related to me the story of a man and his wife that were on vacation, and he stopped in
        Des Moines to try to find his grandfather's gravesite. He insisted that his grandfather was
        buried on Grand Avenue about 48th Street (4800 block), and even had an old picture of the
        monument on his grave. There is no record of this person having been located as he and the
        Glendale secretary found out at the time. Unfortunately no one remembers the name of the
        gentleman looking for the gravesite, or what his grandfather's name was. Now I'm really
        confused as to wether anyone was ever buried in Oak Lawn cemetery.
 
        Here is a list of names of people that died between 1892 to 1907, and were taken from
        Polk County Death records, and could have possibly been buried in Oak Lawn; although
        they in reality don't have any place of burial listed.
 
          1892 - 1897: Timothy D. Hewitt
                                  Carl Raymond
                                  John Heinbach
          1897 - 1907: Lidia Marie Armstrong
                                  Laurinda Hudson
                                  Henry M. Pickering
                                  Maggie A. Reasoner
                                  E.C. Sleet
                                  Lacy M. Wilson
 
          Sources: The Des Moines Daily News - Thursday, December 10, 1893
                        The Des Moines Daily Leader - Thursday, August 13, 1896, Page 8, column 4
 
12) Fort Des Moines Army Post Cemetery - located in the N.E corner of
        of Fort Des Moines(#3) grounds, at the southwest corner of Southeast
        5th Street & Army Post Road (Next to the Police Academy building)
             This cemetery most likely was laid out with the plans for the Army Post as early as 1901,
         although there were few burials there in it's first few decades of it's existence. The last
         burial there was in 1947. In the Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918, many soldiers
         were quickly buried here to further prevent the spread of the pestilence, accounts stating
         that bodies were piled in buildings at the fort because they were dying faster than they
         could be buried, due to a shortage of personel.at the time. It is guessed that many were
            so hastily buried, that there are no accurate records for some of those individuals.
 
              There is a conflict of information as to where the deceased were removed to, one historical
             site study of Fort Des Moines and Camp Dodge states that they moved them to Fort
             Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, while the Spring, 1989 issue of the Hawkeye
             Heritage, and an online sight state that they removed them to Keokuk National Cemetery.
 
              Trying to sort out the truth as to what actually happened, I did some researching, and
              combining with memories of my own of pictures and newspaper articles that I remember
              seeing that place the cemetery there after 1948, this is actually what happened;
 
                 1) The last burial was in 1947
                 2) The disinterment of bodies took place in June of 1948, and1968
                 3) Almost all the deceased were reburied at Keokuk National Cemetery. While it's not
                      impossible for some to have buried at Fort Jefferson Barracks, or Glendale Cemetery,
                      so far there's no proof. The cemetery was officially abandoned in 1968, and the Army
                      erected a canvas fence around the cemetery as they disintered the people buried
                      there..
 
              There is the official tally of graves removed, but the more accurate number may be
              greater than the 159 people that were once buried in this 2 acres of ground. A few horses
              from the Army Post  were buried there as well. The Army removed the remains based on the
              observation of the remains, and piecing together the most complete body as possible and
              labeling it an individual. There is evidence that some burials were missed, due to lack of
              information, poorly back-filled graves, and the discovery of possible gravesites when
              Army Post Road was being graded and widened in the late 1960's. Workers discovered
              bone, casket, and marker fragments as they graded over discolored grave sized areas
              of ground. It all depended if the original graves were dug to the 6 foot level that would
              decide if grading had disturbed missed gravesites, or merely uncovered remnants of
              the gravesites that the Army moved in 1948. Workers took care to place the artifacts
              back in the site they were found, and paved over the questionable graves.
 
               The cemetery was known to extend originally out nearly to the center line of both
              Southeast 5th, and Army Post Road,as well as being on the grounds of the former
              Fort Des Moines Army Post. 100 years have past since the Post's founding, and
              recent abandonment. It's not certain if anyone is still buried there, but if someone had a
              missing relative or ancestor in the Army or that worked or lived at the Fort that they can't
              locate a burial place for, they might have been removed to Fort Jefferson Barracks, or
              they're still buried somewhere in the Fort Des Moines Army Post cemetery.
 
               The following is a list of names and their dates of death on record of people once buried
               at Fort Des Moines, and now at Keokuk National Cemetery:
 
                Albert Anderson                                       October 9, 1918
                Harry Anderson                                        October 6, 1918
                Robert L. Anger                                         November 7, 1908
                Henry Badgery                                          April 30, 1912
                David C. Barlow                                        October 13, 1927
                Kenneth R. Barnard                                 May 31, 1923
                James H. Beard                                         January 1, 1906
                Willis Berry                                                 November 2,1932
                Francis E. Boyd                                        October 24,1931
                Ruth Boyles                                               October 12, 1936
                "baby boy" Brumley                                November 18, 1931
                Richard R. Brunsman Jr.                        July 18, 1937
                John J. Burns                                            May 13, 1908
                W.P. Burns                                                  January 15, 1938
                William Burrell                                            August 4, 1922
                Gustav Carlson                                          October 14, 1918
                William Carter                                             October 14, 1918
                William B. Case                                          March 4, 1906
                Estelle M. Clarke                                        September 5, 1932
                William L. Cockerham                              March 5, 1935
                Grace Cody                                                September 5, 1934
                Solomon N. Cook                                     December 26, 1904
                Guiseppe Crisco                                       October 27, 1918
                Sterling O. Cunningham                         April 13, 1918
                Oscar O. Dahl                                            May 4, 1918
                Rolf H. Dahlberg                                       October 16, 1918
                George Davis                                             August 30, 1920
                Leon DeAmerico                                       November 4, 1918
                "baby boy" DeCarlo                                 August 13, 1943 ?
                Ella E. Denton                                            April 1, 1932
                "baby" Dietz                                              December 28, 1945
                J.C. Dixon                                                   May 25, 1918
                John Doubeck                                          October 16, 1918
                Victor Downiskie                                      October 15, 1918
                William J. Doyle                                         October 3, 1932
                Michael Early                                             October 17, 1918
                Hans Eberspaecher                                 November 1, 1934
                Amelia F. Eckardt                                      May 21, 1935
                William P. Ellis                                            June 25, 1904
                L. E. Enfield                                                February 2, 1932
                Utley Erickson                                           April 1, 1947
                Arthur V. Fallon                                         July 23, 1925
                Fred Fenner                                               November 10, 1942
                Fred Fenner Jr.                                         May 21, 1923
                Joseph C. Fiddler                                     October 14, 1918
                Bonnie J. Fiedler                                      May 3, 1925
                Theodore Frede                                        November 8, 1913
                H.F. Freese                                                 October 27, 1917
                Frank H. Fuller                                           June 16, 1923
                George Geftos                                           October 14, 1918
                "baby boy" Glider                                     July 8, 1930
                Jerome B. Graves                                     June 17, 1912
                Joseph B. Gustafson                               October 16, 1918
                Nick Gustiff                                                 October 14, 1918
                Leland W. Hall Jr.                                       July 17, 1945
                Mary Elizabeth Hall                                   April 23, 1932
                George E. Hamilton                                   October 12, 1918
                Robert S. Hancock                                    February 22, 1907
                Maldor Hanson                                           October 15, 1918
                Willie Harris                                                 October 4, 1918
                Barney F. Hoffman                                    March 12, 1939
                Michael H. Hohl                                          December 30, 1921
                Jarvis C. Hollie                                           December 2, 1918
                Lee E. Howard                                            November 16, 1941
                Joseph Howell                                           December 13, 1917
                Erick Huovinen                                          October 14, 1918
                George Jasperson                                    December 1, 1933
                Thomas Jefferson                                     September 12, 1919
                Egbert O. Jensen                                       June 24, 1918 ?
                Peter M. Jensen                                         October 19, 1918
                Nels H. Johanson                                      October 17, 1918
                "baby boy" Johnson                                March 3, 1932
                "baby girl" Johnson                                 September 24, 1940
                Wallace Johnson                                       June 3, 1918
                Jessie Jones                                               October 13, 1918
                Joseph Jones                                             April 18, 1918
                Charles M. Keegan                                    June 3, 1918
                James A Keeley                                         June 15, 1907
                Walter J. Kruziak                                        January 7, 1924
                Harry B. Landis Jr.                                     September 24, 1918
                Carl J. Larsen                                              March 10, 1918
                Robert E. Lanstrup                                    October 13, 1918
                August Lebel                                               January 5, 1908
                Edward Lewis                                             September 11, 1916
                Viola Lewis                                                  January 15, 1924
                "baby boy" Luffey                                     March 25, 1932
                Samuel Lukin                                              October 17, 1918
                Damiel William Lyons                                September 3, 1918
                William D. Martin                                         May 17, 1918
                Raymond E. McAllister                              July 31, 1918
                Beverly Mae McGlouthlin                         May 23, 1932
                "baby girl" Meyer                                       October 4, 1939
                "baby boy" Middles                                  March 14, 1944
                John Miller                                                   November 3, 1918
                Adolph E. Moeller                                      July 2, 1919
                Lawrence Morency                                   October 21, 1918
                Harvey Morris                                             December 26, 1929
                "baby boy" Morris                                     April 27, 1942
                Andrew J. Nave                                          October 15, 1918
                George Nelson                                           August 17, 1929
                Hugh Nolan                                                 January 2, 1918
                Donald W. Nothingham                            May 30, 1934
                John E. Nye                                                 October 14, 1918
                Eino O'Jakanges                                        October 19, 1918
                Oliver A. Olmstead                                     October 20, 1941
                Fred A. Olson                                              October 14, 1918
                John E. Olson                                             October 14, 1918
                Charles A. O'Neil                                        July 13, 1935
                Donald Wayne Parker                               November 18, 1937
                Emil Pegotte                                                October 9, 1908
                David J. Perreault                                      June 5, 1934
                "baby girl" Peterson                                 January 24, 1929
                Duff Pipkin                                                   October 14, 1918
                Peyton P. Pollette                                       July 18, 1923
                John H. Porter                                             May 10, 1943
                Mary E. Powell                                             August 21, 1912
                Strelin S. Powers                                        May 10, 1918
                Bob Rainero                                                 October 18, 1918
                Waldemar C. Rasmussen                         October 20, 1918
                Charles L. Richards                                   December 19, 1938
                Edward B. Richards                                   October 21, 1929
                James Richards Jr.                                    November 14, 1930
                Russell C. Riggs                                         August 7, 1907
                Leida Robinson                                          October 30, 1928
                Frank L. Roper                                            March 30, 1935
                Christ Rott                                                    O ctober 14, 1918
                Ernest Sales                                                October 9, 1918
                Michael M. Saroff                                        October 15, 1918
                "baby boy" Sayshen                                 August 4, 1943
                Shirley Mae Seeley                                     October 22, 1939
                Ray J. Sink                                                    March 1, 1908
                Ralph W. Shearer                                        July 5, 1926
                Frank Smith                                                  October 14, 1918
                William J. Smith                                           November 18, 1918
                Fred W. Smothers                                       May 16, 1935
                Paul F. Spicer                                               February 3, 1920
                Dave Stearns                                                July 21, 1943
                Elmer Stedman                                            October 17, 1918
                William L. Stewart                                        October 13, 1918
                Frank Walter Sullivan                                 June 5, 1932
                Richard L. Sullivan                                      November 9, 1932
                Frans W. Svenson                                       October 13, 1918
                "baby girl" Tompkins                                  December 3, 1931
                George Townsend                                        January 3, 1919
                Buber Washington                                       March 6, 1918
                Alfred Weeks                                                  June 19, 1905
                Almon Weston                                               January 18, 1926
                Kenneth L. White                                          March 23, 1926
                Leroy C. White                                               September 3, 1942
                John Wilcox                                                   December 29, 1919
                John Wolf                                                       November 15, 1905
                Albert J. Woude                                            December 14, 1910
                Antoinette Woude                                        August 6, 1912
                Alex Zaboff                                                     October 17, 1918
 
       This woman was reburied at Highland Memorial Gardens:
 
                Audrey E. Largent                                         January 13, 1942
 
        ...And all the rest were moved elsewhere, and at this moment their location is unknown:
 
                Richard A. Fuller                                            February 2, 1940
                John F. Kelly Jr.                                             September 2, 1939
                Velva M. Kelly                                                 September 22, 1939
                Renee E. Scheffer                                          January 4, 1917
 
       Sources:  Keokuk National Cemetery Records - http://www.interment.net/data/us/ia/lee/keokuknat/index.htm
                      The Hawkeye Heritage - Spring, 1989, pages 22 to 25
                      Cavalry Post Interments - http://iagenweb.org/polk/cemetery/Cavalry%20Post%20Interments.htm
                      "An Archeological And Historic Architectural Survey Of Primary Roads Project HES-5-5(30)-2H-77,
                         Polk County, Iowa"    by Marlin R. Ingalls, Architectural Historian
 
13) Polk County Insane Asylum / Poor Farm / County Ground / County Farm /
      County Cemetery - Two blocks north of the Northwest corner of Northeast 14th and
      Northeast 54th Avenue(Pine Hill road);
          Unclaimed deceased residents of the Polk County Insane Asylum / Polk County Poor Farm /
          Polk County Work Farm were buried in this small cemetery up to 1928.but were moved in
          1971 to nearby Pine Hill cemetery, when East 14th was widened.
 
           The following people were listed as being buried there, according to the Polk
          County death records 1880 - 1907, and Pine Hill cemetery records. There were about 70
          bodies removed from this site, some of then unidentified. The Polk County Farm was
          established in 1865 on this site of the old Yost farm, so no burials here(if any were) pre-date
          that year.
 
            Edward Allen
            Anna Bedford
            Henry Boven
            A.P. Carson
            Stephen Carr
            Jackson Carroll
            Larry Cantrell
            Louis Conte
            Michael Couchlin
            Caroline Day
            Samuel Dille
            Mary Fellows
            ________ Fenner (male)
            Ira Freman
            John Grally
            William Harp
            Floyd Henderson
            J.W. Hughson
            August Johnson
            John Jordan
            James Joyce
            John Kelley
            Mary Lewis
            George Martin
            Isaac Martin
            _________ Mc Atee (male)
            _________ McCormack (female)
            John Newark
            Rebecca Polly
            Adam Rondenbaugh
            George W. Scott
            James Slater
            Edward Smith
            George Smith
            James Wynn
            Charles W. Anderson
           *James Muldoon
 
            .......and in addition to the above names, are the following individuals officially
            registered as being buried in Pine Hill, after being removed from their old gravesite
            in 1971. The pages containing the surnames of people that began with A through J
            appears to be lost, perhaps permanently.
 
           The list is courtesy of John Zeitler who spent time ferreting out the
            information from several sources, and is as follows;
 
              W. Alberson
              M. Aleson
              F. Allen
              C. Anderson
              W. H. Brewer
              Celia Brown
              Tom Burk
              I.W. Byer
              R. Cartwright
              J. Cover
              J. Crawford
              S. Daughtery
              H. Dennis
              Noah Diel
              Wiliiam Duke
                 C. R. Elders (male)
              M. Farlie
              C.W. Folsom
              M.C. Gibson
              Mary Given
              R.A. Griffith
              J. Hank
              B. Hetcher
              Luscious B. Hickock
              R. Hoffman
              M. Hogan
              M. Hopple
              John Horghle
              L. Jones
              Mary Kelley
              Mrs. Kendall
              M. Kennedy
              Katie Kinney
              S. Kinney
              Ed Lewis
              Mildred McCoy
              I. Maher
              June Marshall
              M.B. Merryherr
              F.D. Mensidler
              J. Muldoon
             M. Murray
             M. Nation
             J. Nestler
             Pete Nielson
             John O'Neal
             Mary Owens
             James Ozark Sr.
             M. Parker
             J. Quick
             M. Sander
             A.M. Sharp
               Ann Sharp
             Charles Smith
             N. Smith
             J. Strain
             Jane Taylor
             Maria Temple
             John Thompson
             Mattie Tim
             Porter J. Tucker
             C.M. Wright
             Susan ___________
 
14) Harvey Cemetery - On east corner of intersection of Oak Hill Drive and
       Northeast 23rd Avenue (The former Stephen Harvey farm)
         This cemetery was accidently rediscovered by clerks at the Polk County Auditor's office in
         2002, and nobody realized it was there that lived by it. Unintentionally it was being used as
         a junk pile by the current land owner who was unaware it was a burial ground. There are no
         surviving markers, or burial records for this cemetery, but township trustees did have the
         area cleaned up and fenced off. It was located north of the defunct village of Oak Hill. It has
         been mentioned before in other prior canvassings of Polk County cemeteries.
 
         The Polk County death records from 1880 to 1907 list the following people as being buried
        there, although it should be kept in mind that most of the occupants were removed to nearby
        Rising Sun cemetery. Not all the names below appear in the Rising Sun records however.
 
            Iva May Barton
            Wilbur H. Harvey
            William H. Wade
            William W. Hammond
            Letitia Hartman
            Lysander Harvey
            Ralph Johnson
            Nancy Morehead
            Samuel Myren
            Emma G. Wyman
            Cora Bitting
            Lilly O. Davis
            Child of P.W. Howrick
            Roda A. Lee
         These two are reportedly the only two visible markers that were left when it was last reported
          on in the 1970's:
            E.B. Lee    Age 76      died November 5, 1875
            Infant son of John T. and Viretta Harvey West   died March 6, 1880
 
15) First Catholic Cemetery -  In an area bounded by Porter Avenue, 
       Southwest 18th, and Southlawn Drive (ca. 1858 to 1866);
        G. Scott deeded to Father M. Loras, 1st Bishop Of Iowa, 10 acres of land to be used by the
        catholics for a cemetery. At that time the area would have been very remote, so it's no
           surprise that they instead moved the cemetery to the present site of St. Ambrose Cemetery
           in 1866, and the first site was abandoned.
 
           The odd thing is that a section of land that is labeled as a cemetery appears again on a
          1904 and 1907 set of maps in the exact same place. Then it never appears again after that.
           I really don't think that anyone was buried there and the area was developed about 50 years
           ago, with no visible allowences for a cemetery.
 
           It is also noted in Andreas' 1875 Atlas Of Iowa, on the map for Polk County
           (Source: Centennial History Of Polk County, Iowa, by J.M. Dixon, Blind Editor - 1876. Page 254).
 
16) As yet unnamed cemetery on the northwest corner of East 4th and Locust
      - On the site of the Blood Center Of Iowa Building;
         This cemetery was located on a small hill about at this location. The bodies were removed in
         1854 (Where, I don't know). An interesting side note to this event is that the locals left on
          display at the site the open casket of a Frenchman that supposedly had been buried there
          about 1842. They displayed him for a few days because it was said his state of preservation
          was remarkable after so long being buried.
 
           I don't think that the burial took place that long ago at that site, as Capt. Allen didn't land at
          Raccoon Forks until 1844, and it was decades since the French owned the territory. Most
          likely they were referring to the deceased's mustache, that made him look French.
 
          About 2005, street crews were digging a deep pit on the corner at East 4th & Grand Avenue, when
          they noticed bone fragments coming up in the excavated dirt. Tests were conducted to determine
          if the bones were human or not. Ultimately they were deemed to be those of a prehistoric deer.
 
          Source: History Of Polk County, Iowa, by Union Historical Company - 1880. Page 618
 
17) Planned 2nd west side cemetery(pre-Woodland Cemetery);
       The need for a new cemetery by the city resulted in property being purchased about where 2115
        Grand Avenue is now. It was opposite The James C. Savery home at the time A neighbor
        named Lewis Jones not being to thrilled about viewing a cemetery from his homestead, offered
        in exchange a parcel of land near that is now part of blocks 1 through 8 in Woodland, so the site
        was switched to that location before any interments were made, and that site became Ft. Des
        Moines Cemetery.
 
        (Source: The Iowa State Register - May, 1877)
 
18) Unknown Pioneer's grave in the 300 block of what was once East 11th
      street;
      In the mid 1870's a discovery was made of an unmarked grave of an early Fort Des Moines
        area resident in front of the sidewalk in front of Colonel T.A. Walker's residence at 309 East
        11th Street. At that time private residences practically existed at the very doorsteps of the
         present Iowa Statehouse. The site now is the east lawn of the statehouse. The identity of
         this settler was never found.
         (Source: The Iowa State Register - May, 1877)
 
19) Unidentified small family plot on the west side of 8th street between
      Grand Avenue and High street (Circa late 1880's)
        The only reason we know this to have existed is because it appears on the left foreground of
         a picture meant actually to be of the first Baptist Church at 8th & High. It is a very small
         fenced in plot with small tombstones. We have yet to identify the owner of the house it's
         placed behind. The Principal Tower now occupies the entire block northwest of 8th & Grand.
 
         Source: Iowa State Archives Picture Collection, picture of First Baptist Church
 
20) Manbeck burial site - Somewhere in either side of Watrous Avenue, east of
      Southeast 34th Street -                                                                                                   The exact location of the burial site in the former mining camp of Manbeck is unknown This
        community existed from as early as 1889 to as late as 1900. This is the only officially recorded
        burial there, wherever it was in this area, and I wonder if she was actually buried in nearby Avon
        cemetery, which would make more sense. This is what the death records say:
 
           Elizabeth Smith    died June 29, 1895, aged 9 months
 
21) Jordan Family pioneer cemetery (In the Nazerine Camp Grounds property,
      on a small hill northeast of the Jordan House Museum, 2001 Fuller Road,
      West Des Moines, Iowa)
          This was the original burial site for most of the Jordan family members and other Walnut
         Township pioneers, but it was abandoned for modern day Jordan Cemetery. The members
         of the Jordan family that were buried here, were later removed to Jordan Cemetery, and all
         that remain are 6 or more graves. The stones were smashed by vandals several years ago,
         removed, and then replaced. The two legible stones state these two names;
 
             Ethlinda Downs
             J.M. Rosencrants
 
22) Mitchellville Industrial School For Girls Cemetery - on the southwest corner
     of the property of the current Women's Correctional Facility at Mitchellville
     Iowa, located on the west edge of town.
          This is a small cemetery that is about 50 feet by 50 feet, surrounded by a chain link fence,
         surrounded by a cornfield. The administration at the Women's Reformatory has no records
         that they know of regarding the burials here, but they promise to look into it. The cemetery
         could hold about 70 or so individuals, and the groundskeeper told me he remembers.about
         3 or 4 infant's tombstones that have disappeared since he began working there. The following
         information was taken from the 6 remaining markers still visible;
 
            Mary Clark
             Cedar County
             March 9, 1868
             January 28, 1881
 
            Clara Jahn
             Polk County
             December 30, 1880
             April 3, 1895
 
            Sarah Hall
             Linn County
             1873
             December 14, 1888
 
            Sarah C. Watkins
             Hardin County
             1865
             October 28, 1881
 
            Julia Dusier
             Clinton County
             September, 1869
             April 22, 1886
 
            Artie Marquis
             Marshall County
             April 8, 1881
             September 23, 1897
 
         This is the one burial that was noted in the Polk County death records to have officially taken
        place there:
          Estella Watkins        died: October 28, 1881
 
          This cemetery has not been used for decades, and is blocked off for any further burials.
 
23) Enterprise Cemetery - (Southwest of the former site of the Enterprise Coal
     Mine community)
         There are no plats, records, or even one reference to this cemetery in the death records, yet
        it did exist, and is fenced off. There are no markers in this triangular shaped cemetery, and
        it consisted mainly of Italian and black mine workers in the early 1900's. There were small
        markers once, but they had been stolen or destroyed. It was located in Section 16, Douglas
        Township. I was also told that in the 1970's, nearby Ankeny high school students used to
        have "keggers" here because it was an isolated location.
        Source: The Des Moines Register - Friday, July 31, 1992, Pages 1M and 6M
 
24)  Truman Jones Farm cemetery - now on the Des Moines International
        Airport grounds, roughly 1 block west of the old intersection of Army
        Post Road and Fluer Drive on the north edge of Old Army Post Road.
            This cemetery appears once on a 1907 plat map of Bloomfield Township, and if it was
           never moved, part of the cemetery probably ended up under the right westbound lane of
           Old Army Post Road. It's not known who was buried here, but probably members of the
           Jones family. It will be investigated further
 
25)  Corydon Cemetery - Located near the pioneer town of Corydon,
       in the center of the northwest 1/4 of the southwest 1/4 of Section 12,
       Madison townsip, on the east side of the Des Moines river -
 
            This cemetery's site is now underwater in Saylorville Lake, as well as the townsite. Prior to
         the creation of Saylorville Lake, the Army Corps of Engineers relocated all the graves they
         could find to nearby Polk City Cemetery in 1971.
 
26)  Linn Grove Congregational Church Cemetery - Located just east of the
      northeast cornerof Northeast 88th Street and Northeast 94th Avenue,
      northeast of Bondurant, Iowa.
 
           Old Polk County Maps show a church at this location as early as 1902. In 1907 it was noted
          as a Congregational Church. In the Plat Map Atlas of Polk County, Iowa, published sometime
          between 1912 to 1925 by Midland Map & Engineering Company, they label it as Linn Grove
          Church and Cemetery. The church building itself is gone, probably decades ago, and the site
          is now occupied by a house built in 1999.
 
           Official land records show that the land for Linn Grove Congregational Church was purhased
          on September 19, 1891. The land for this church was last mentioned in 1911, and was not
          mentioned again until 1967. It more than likely was a church that had a certain number of
          members for several years, but eventually dwindled down to nothing, and the church ended
          up being abandoned or moved.
 
           The site is currently being investigated to find out if a cemetery was ever there or not.
 
27)  The Dewitt DeVotie burial site (DeVotie Cemetery) - On the south edge of
      Thomas Mitchell Park, west of the northwest corner of Northeast 108th
       Street and Northeast DeVotie Drive
 
          It's location is up on a small hill in Section 23 of Beaver Township.More information on this
         location is forthcoming. Supposedly, Dewitt DeVotie is now the only person left buried there.
 
28)  Yant Family Burial Grounds, north of the original town of Altoona, Iowa -
 
          No exact location is given except to say various Yant family members were buried near their
         homes on lands owned by them in their early ownership of land in Clay(formerly part of Beaver)
         township.
 
29)  Single gravesite on the east side of the route of the Chicago, Rock Island
     and Pacific Railroad trestle over Mud Creek -
 
        It is a rumour that a rail hand was killed in an accident and subsequently was buried near the
        east end of the railroad trestle. His identity is not known, nor is this a substantiated fact. It's not
        known when in the latter half of the 1800's this occured. The original trestle has been replaced
        a few times since then I'm sure.
 
30)  The old Peacock School schoolyard, near Altoona, Iowa -
 
         A child of some pioneers passing through the area supposedly is buried here(name or sex of
        child is unknown). Peacock School was located in Section 20 of Clay Township
 
31)  Elmdale Park Cemetery - 160 acres on the northeast corner of Merle Hay
      Road and Merdith Drive -
       
          A newspaper article from the Des Moines Evening Tribune, August 27, 1909, announces the
          founding of a new cemetery northwest of Des Moines. The founders that filed incorporation
          papers for this business venture were S. F. Frick, J.G. Myerly, and Florence Smith of Des
          Moines, and H. W. Smith of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
 
           The land itself was to have compromised 160 acres, and at that time contained a great deal
          of elm trees. The newspaper article is somewhat vague about the placement of this land,
          mentioning only that it was northwest of Des Moines, and that it was accessible to the Perry
          Interurban, and the 55th Street extension. The modern day boundaries of what would have
          been Elmdale Park, are Merle Hay Road, Meredith Drive, Northwest 51st Street, and
          Interstate 80.
 
           A search was made of land transactions in 1909, and not one mention of this land being sold
          was found, under Smith, Frick, Myerly, Lane, or Piekenbrock. There were no burials here.
 
           Searching the web for "Elmdale Park Cemetery", I find the following link, that makes it look as
          if some sort of land swindle was involved, and it is as follows;
 
          Wyoming State Law Library: Piekenbrock vs. Smith et al. - 10/13/1914, The Supreme                           Court Of Oklahoma
        
          Source: The Des Moines Evening Tribune - Friday, August 27, 1909, Page 4, column 4
 
32) The Drake University Observatory - on Observatory Road off of Polk
       Boulevard, northwest of Tifareth Israel Synagogue;
          This site is more than likely well known by Drake University students and anybody else that
          has taken a tour of the Drake Observatory. Within the entryway are the cremains of
          Dr. Robert Morehouse and his wife, sealed within the walls.
 
33) Saint Gabriel's Monastery unmarked infants cemetery - Northwest of the
      northwest corner of Merle Hay Road and Douglas Avenue;
         The existence of this small plot of land is entirely heresay, and undocumented. The information
         was culled from an Iowa Paranormal site of all places.
 
          First let me say that everything I have read so far about St. Gabriel's Monastery has never
         mentioned a nun's convent also co-existing on the site, or that nuns were even living there.
         This was a monastery of monks of the Catholic church, and it existed on a large acreage
          from the 1920's until it was sold to developers of present day Merle Hay Mall. This doesn't
          mean that it couldn't of happened, as I've never studied Saint Gabriel's history.
 
          It was said the tiny infants cemetery consisted primarily of stillborn or newborn infants that
          may or may not have been born by nuns at the monastery (remember, although the practice
          was definately on the way out by the 1920's and after, some catholic girls entered the
          convent when they were "in trouble" - - - that is to say, they were pregnant)
 
           I could be way off in posting this, but another person posted a short bit of information
          stating that his father delivered ice cream to the monastery back then, and saw a nun feeding
          what he presumed to be her infant, when supposedly this wasn't supposed to exist.
          It may have been common knowledge that babies were buried in an unmarked plot at the
          monastery at the time, but it has surely been forgotten now. There isn't a chance of physically
          investigating any purported site, as the entire monastery grounds are covered by the parking
          lots, retail stores and office buildings that make up the Merle Hay Mall complex. If the site
          wasn't destroyed initially by the digging equipment and grading used to build the mall, it
          would be totally inaccessible
 
           (Source: http://www.TheShadowlands.net/places/iowa.htm)
 
34)   Lower Agency Cemetery / Agency Bottoms Cemetery/ Old East Side Cemetery
             This cemetery was recently found to have existed, because of newspaper accounts of East side residents
           seeking to relocate the cemetery from low and unkempt ground. One newspaper gives it's former location
           as being on the site of the future Hawthorne Grove subdivision, platted in 1885. So far, a land record for it's location still
           eludes us, so all that is available. It was said that all interred here were moved to Woodland Cemetery by 1884.    
          The boundries of Hawthorn Grove Subdivion are Southeast 15th Street, Scott street, Astor street, and Maury Avenue. It is
          presumed that there is nobody left buried in this section of land. Sometimes this cemetery was feferred to as just
        "East Side Cemetery", which leads to some confusion as to where people are being buried when you read it in an obituary
          during period newspapers. Listing number 8 above, talks about the other East Side cemetery that existed at the
          same time, and both locations probably were interchangable by name. So far, only one obituary calls this location
          "Agency Bottoms cemetery", so named because it was located on lands that were administered by the Indian Ageny
          building near East 18th & East Court Avenue, and because it was also the southeast river bottoms area. This
          cemetery so far has has not appeared on any map, or any land/lot transfer, just newspaper accounts.
 
35)  Cemetery Lot - bounded by 6th Avenue, Madison Avenue, 9th Street, and
       Douglas Avenue;
              This is the most mysterious of locations, as there is no land or map record of any cemetery being located
            on this spot. Most likely what was going on is that the City of Des Moines was looking to establish a
            new cemetery on the east side of Des Moines, and bought this distant parcel of land for that purpose.
            6th and Douglas would have been way outside the Des Moines city limits in 1863, so possibly that is why
            this land was sold to Daniel Ellyson in 1864. A newspaper account of Des Moines city council minutes quotes
            Mr. Ellyson referring to this land being called "Cemetery Lot"
             
36)  Native American Site - Northwest corner of Prospect Road and Hickman to
      the northwest, behind Broadlawns Hospital;
        The discovery of this site was accidental, when construction of a cellular tower disturbed
         artifacts behind Broadlawns hospital. It was said that the discovery was first ignored and
         hushed, but word leaked out eventually, and the site was preserved.
 
37) Native American Site - South of Southeast 27th Street and C.B & Q Street,
      on a the high bank next to the creek outlet to Brook's Lake, on the banks
      of the Des Moines River (west of the Des Moines Sewage treatment plant -
          This site contained 23 bodies lain out in two rows, 14 were discovered by A.A. Bennett who
         owned the land there circa 1905. Subsequent archeaological digs conducted by
         Thompson Van Hyning of the Iowa State Historical Department uncovered the other 9 graves,
         and he thought there would be more in the area.
 
           Artifacts buried with them proved they were of indian origin, but other artifacts buried with
          them and the fact they were buried in crude wooden boxes also showed contact with
        . eastern American culture. Mr. Van Hyning also stated that very large trees growing over the
          graves proved that they had been there a very long times, and maybe as late as the 1830's, or
          as early as 1700.
 
           A picture of three skulls taken from this site is shown in this news article about the discovery
          of this site, and I suspect that a great deal of artifacts were taken from this site as well.
          I personally remember that there was a great protest about Indian remains on display to the
          public up in the old Iowa State Historical Building, so they bowed to pressure put on them by
          native Indian groups in the mid-1970's, and returned the remains to their original site. I don't
          know if the 1905 discovery are the same artifacts, but I will follow it up in the future
          (Source: The Des Moines Register and Leader - March 26,1905, Page 1, third section).
 
38) Native American Site - Northeast corner of Rocklyn Drive and Hickman
      Road in Urbandale
         The legend says that when The Rocklyn Night Club was being built in the early 1930's,
          indian remains were unearthed during construction of the building. Irina's Steak House
          now occupies this same building.
 
39) Native American Site - The west side of the downtown Des Moines area;
      According to early accounts, there were 15 Indian mounds located around the west side of the
      downtown area that were reported to contain human remains and artifacts. One mound was
      located on the present Polk County courthouse site, and another at 4th and Walnut. Most likely
      the remains of all 15 mounds were sold to museums or side shows of the time, or kept by the
      land owners as curiosities. The mounds belonged to the river culture that existed up and down
      the Des Moines river, prior to the Sac and Fox indian's occupation of this area. There are no
      visible mounds today, as all hills in the downtown area were graded flat long ago. From
      accounts, these mounds were quite large, as W.W."Billy" Moore built his house at the
      southeast corner of 4th & Walnut on one such mound.
 
40) Native American Site - 15th & Ingersoll Avenue (now the site of Quick Trip
        store number 515 at 1421 Ingersoll Avenue
      A man named H.R.Goodall was digging a cistern at his property on he northeast corner of
      Grant Street & Linden (15th & Linden) about mid-April, 1874 when he discovered the bodies
      of 4 Indians that had been there for quite some time. They were deemed not those of settlers,
      and one of them was a man of giant stature.
 
       The area at 15th & Linden has changed much since 1874, and the cistern's site could be
       anywhere from in the westbound lanes of Ingersoll Avenue to the south lawn of the Quick Trip
       store. It's more probable that the bodies were removed, although it's not mentioned if they
       were and where they would have been moved to, if it all.
 
41) Native American Site - West Des Moines -
           Traditionally, the area to the north of Jordan Cemetery is said to be an Indian burial ground.           
       
42) The Iowa State Capitol Building - East side of Des Moines, ca. 1868 -
         A newspaper account from that time period gave an account of bones being discovered by
         workers when the basement under the statehouse was being constructed. No other information
         is known.
 
43) Pash-E-Pa-Ho ("The Stabbing Chief), Chief of the Sac Indians (abt. 1762
                              to his death between 1842-1846) gravesite -
         He was known under several different spellings of his name, and here are a few of them:
             Pash-E-Pa-Ho
             Pashi-Pa-Ho
             Pash-A-Pa-Hoe
             Pash-A-Pa-Ho
             Pashepaho
             Pashpahaw
             Pashapaho
             Cha-Kee-Pa-Shi-Pa-Ho
             Pa-She-Pa-Ho
             Pash-E-Pa-Ho
             "The Stabber"
             "The Little Stabber"
             "The Stabbing Chief"
             Na-O-Tuk
 
           At any rate, no matter how you spell it, or hyphenate it to find his name in indexes or search
          engines, the one constant thing about Pash-E-Pa-Ho is that he at one time was better known
          just as important a chief in Iowa's history as the better known Chief Keokuk. There is much
          written about him on the internet, so I won't go into detail about him here.
 
            There are conflicting sources that give the location of his final resting place. The first one
          is a 1869 publication that states he was laid to rest on a hill overlooking Fort Des Moines from
          the south. That could be any high point near the mouth of the Raccoon River, but most likely the
          would be the most prominent hill in that area known in pioneer times as "Van's Hill". Later on it
          would be known as the city of Clifton Heights, and is the hill that Indianola Road curves
          around to connect to Southwest 9th. Read it in the John B. Saylor biography at this link:
 
             http://www.rootsweb.com/~iabiog/polk/ap1869/ap1869-s.htm
 
            The other conflicting source is a small newspaper article found by John Zeller that tells of the
          accidental discovery of Pash-E-Pa-Ho's grave(When I get the exact date of the article and
          details, I'll post it here[1/22/2005] ) The basic jist of the story is that railworkers working the
          sandpit for the construction of the C.B. & Q. line southeast of Des Moines discovered what
          was believed to be his resting place. Credibility was given this belief because a presidential
          medal found buried with him. This medal was no doubt given him at the signing of the peace
          treaty ending the Black Hawk wars, in St. Louis. Nothing more is known what was done with
          this discovery, but given people's sentiments toward Indians and Indian culture at the time,
          his remains have vanished into history, never to be seen again. All you have to do is read up
          about the journey Black Hawk's remains took before they were finally destroyed in a museum
          fire, and you'll get the idea.
 
          Here is a picture of Pash-E-Pa-Ho
:
           http://www.yawp.com/redmen/chapter15/photo9.html
 
 
44) L.J. and B.L. Peter's Gravel Pit - in the area adjoing the northwest corner of
      Lewis A. Jester Park in Northwest Polk County
        A single grave of skeletal remains was found on the edge of a gravel pit in April of
        1966, and subsequently removed to the Iowa state Historical Building for further
        examination. Other bones were found nearby, but no other gravesites were discovered.
 
45) Great Oasis culture burial ground - 9th & Ashworth, West Des Moines
        In 1963, construction workers were preparing the ground for construction of
        Crestview Acres Retirement home, when the discovery of the bodies of a native
        American woman and her child were made. Soon, as many as 18 bodies were
        discovered in total. Unfortunately, much of the construction destroyed the site,
        and the general public was allowed to come in and look for indian artifacts
        What artifacts that were salvaged were sent to the Iowa State Historical Society.
        Some of the excavated dirt was dumped on the southwest corner of Vine street and Ashworth road
        where local boys continued to pick out indian artifacts much the same way they had did at 9th &
        Ashworth    
 
46) Pet's Rest Cemetery - 6800 Hickman Road
          This was an animal cemetery, and the only reason I mention it is because a section of the
          property it sat on seems to have been purposely set aside and undisturbed. It now is located
          at the extreme southwest corner of property by the apartment building at 2226 68th street.
          A metal detector revealed "things" buried in rows at regular intervals in this patch of land, that
          are probably the forgotten pets themselves. This cemetery existed in the 1940's and 1950's
          and there are no markers visible now.
 
           In 2004, a large maintenance garage was contructed on the east half of the area in question
          and most likely over the pet's graves
 
                                                   Related Topics:
 
1) I was e-mailed by a person that reported to me that broken pieces of grave markers were turning up now and then in the soil of her mother's yard whenever they would do gardening and tree planting. The house was an older home located very near to Oak Grove cemetery. They said none of the pieces were readable however.
 
2) A newspaper article that primarily was put out for the Halloween season in 1976, in the Des Moines Register, relates a legend pertaining to the 7th street viaduct over the Raccoon River during  the bridge's construction back in 1912, it is said a construction worker returned to the job the morning after a section of concrete had been poured. He noticed a hat lying on the surface of the poured section of concrete that was setting up. He picked the hat up, then noticed part of a shoe sticking out of the concrete. He tried to pull the shoe out, but was shocked to discover that it was attached to somebody's foot in the cement. Frightened, he pushed the shoe into the cement, and covered it over, and later stated he thought someone had fallen into the cement
 
  This story is halfway believable, because the other stories in the article were factual, and not a work
of fiction. People murder other people every day, and dispose of them in all manner of ways. This
story could be just a hoax or an urban myth of Des Moines, as that's not beyond human behavior as
well. The problem I have with the story is why anyone would go to the lengths to encase someone in
the cement construction, and so sloppily leave clues that a body was there. The story doesn't even
mention the source. The story doesn't even mention where in the bridge construction the
alleged homicide victim is supposed to be. True or not, no one will know either way until this bridge
is reconstructed or demolished, and good luck spotting 90 year old + skeletal remains when the
concrete is be ripped apart by wrecking balls and jackhammers.(source: The Des Moines Register,
October 31, 1976)
 
Credit for some of the information on entries 9,10,34,35,40 & 41 go to John P. Zeller. Robert G. Mapes was responsible for some of entry 11. Bob Simons is credited with entries 16, 17, and 19.
 
                            Back To Home Page  Back To Index   Polk County, Iowa Cities & Towns - Page 9